Did you know, mouth jewelry is a dental hazard to your oral health? Yes, it’s true! While mouth jewelry can be beautiful for many people, it is essential to understand that mouth jewelry can also be a threat to your oral health and teeth.
Our dentist, Dr. Matthew Scaffa, cares about your oral health. Luckily, our team at Dental Art Concepts PLLC in Staten Island, New York, is happy to explain why mouth jewelry can be a dental hazard to your smile.
Here is a list of reasons why your mouth jewelry can be a dental hazard:
– Teeth damage: Mouth jewelry is very hard and can chip and crack your teeth easily by accident causing severe damage to your teeth and could be painful.
– Nerve damage: Mouth jewelry, tongue jewelry precisely, is hazardous because your tongue is full of nerves and if not applied correctly, you can harm the nerves in your tongue creating speech and even chewing problems.
– Allergies: Many people suffer from allergic reactions to various metals in their mouth because their mouth is a sensitive place in the body.
– Increased risk of infections: Because your mouth is a very moist place, it is also a breeding zone for bacteria that can cling to your mouth jewelry and cause infections.
– Drooling: Tongue jewelry is known to increase saliva production which can cause extreme drooling at night.
– Choking: Because the mouth jewelry often has small parts to it, it becomes a choking hazard, especially while you eat or sleep.
As you can see, there are multiple reasons why mouth jewelry can be unsafe for your oral health. If you have questions about your smile, or if you need to see a dentist, please call us today at (718) 313-4343 to make an appointment. Our team looks forward to seeing you and helping you with your oral health needs.